Looking for something simple and delicious to bake during the lockdown? We gave the Rhodes Quality Cheesy Corn Bread recipe a try – and it’s delicious.
Homemade and served fresh from the oven, this cheesy cornbread is a winner at every family braai. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and it doesn’t need any special equipment.
- 500 g Self-raising flour
- 7.5 ml (1½ Tsp.) Salt
- 90 ml (6 Tbsp.) Finely sliced spring onions (the green parts)
- 90 g Cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (.5 cm)
- 1 x 410 g Can Rhodes Quality Cream Style Sweetcorn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200 ml (¾ Cup + 2 Tsp.) Buttermilk (I used regular milk and it turned out fine)
- Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the spring onions and cheese and mix lightly.
- Whisk the Rhodes Cream Style Sweetcorn, eggs and buttermilk together and mix lightly into the dry ingredients but be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Place the dough into a large greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ˚C for 75 minutes or until a skewer, when inserted, comes out clean and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with butter. (We also spread on a bit of Bovril for a twist)
Get this and more easy recipes on www.rhodesquality.com/recipes